Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Deep in the Heart of Texas

After a lot of prayer and soul-searching, Stephen and I have decided to move to Texas! We are so excited!


Stephen was offered a position with Boeing and he will be working on "space stuff" (my words, not his) in the Houston area near the NASA center. It is a great opportunity- I am so excited for him!

Things are happening very quickly. We move out of our apartment on Saturday (!!!!) and Stephen leaves for Texas on Sunday morning. The kids and I will be hopping back and forth between grandparents' houses until October. Stephen reports Wednesday and his first day of work is Friday. He will start house hunting on Tuesday with our realtor in Texas.

Yes, you read that right. Stephen is choosing our house! Without me! I'm actually really excited about it. We've talked a lot about what we're looking for in a house together and I trust him completely. I think it will be really exciting to see what he decides. Besides, I think he's more picky than I am. ;)

Ben was pretty disappointed at first ("I don't want to move far, far away to Texas!") but then we showed him some pictures of where we might live. His eyes got big and round and he said, "Ben will play in his backyard?" We said that he would. Then he babbled about his new backyard for the next 10 minutes. I think he will be happy there.

We are really sad to be leaving our families. Both sets of grandparents are here, along with aunts, uncles, great-grandparents, great aunts and uncles, cousins... it is really depressing to think about. Not to mention all the friends we've made in Upland and my best girl friend who I've known since I was 10. I don't want to have to make new friends! It's hard to find people you gel with sometimes, and I had that here. I'm a bit of an odd duck. Even though maybe people don't notice it. So that's worrisome- what if people don't "get" me? Or- what if they don't like me because my home state pride rivals theirs? Something to think about with Texans!

Regardless of any worries, we are really excited to be heading out on this adventure. It's a long way from home, but we are happy and looking forward to being in a new place in life.

9 comments:

  1. I LOVED living in Texas (in Dallas, not too terribly far from Houston). You will love it. It's a big soggy in Houston, but very pretty. I don't know if Houston is any different, but Dallas was such a melting pot that I actually didn't encounter that many "Texas" accents or Texas pride comments while there...and people are so nice in the South! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant "It's a *bit soggy in Houston."

    BTW--Good friends of ours were living in Houston for 3 years while he was in school. They just moved away, but she did the most fun stuff with her two boys while they lived there--they were always going to new places and exploring! And I know they did it on a budget, too. I'm sure you'll figure out all the fun stuff to do there, but if you want to know about some of them, let me know and I'll find out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LAST comment I promise :) I found my friend's checklist of stuff she did or wanted to do while in Houston--thought you might be interested:

    Houston Zoo
    Children's Museum
    Natural Science Museum
    Houston Rodeo
    Surfside beach
    Galveston Beach
    Aquarium
    Livingston State Park
    Blue Bell factory
    Oil Ranch
    Alamo
    Moody Gardens
    Brazos Bend- alligator reserve
    Paddle boats at Hermann Park
    Nasa
    San Jacinto State Park
    Kemah boardwalk
    Holocaust Museum
    Menil Collection
    Beer can house
    Discovery Green

    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Allison! Those sound like some fun things to do. I'm glad people are nice! Looking forward to it even more.

      By the way, I've been sorting through all of my old stuff for the move and found bunch of notes you left for me in good ole' Taylor Hall. I miss you so much! Hope everything is going well for you! I'm excited about your new little one!

      Delete
    2. How funny! I'd be interested to know what I wrote on those notes... :) We really had a lot of fun together--you are a part of so many of my freshman memories! I miss you too; it would be so fun to hang out again. You are getting closer to Alabama...haha. Can't wait to hear how everything goes in Texas.

      Delete
  4. Just look how many people like you here despite your odd-duckiness. You'll do great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rachel. I'm going to miss you.

      Delete
  5. We've LOVED the South so far (I know TX is a little different from the deep south). It has been so nice for us. It's hard to be away from family, and it will take some time to adjust, but you will adjust. BTW, if you ever want to come visit Birmingham, it's only around 10 hours away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excited for you guys and this new adventure! You will be missed!

    ReplyDelete