Monday, June 25, 2012

Baby Shower Baprons

I've been looking for a simple but awesome pattern for baby shower gifts, and I think I've found it! It's called the Bapron- the Baby Apron. You can find the tutorial and free pattern HERE.

This is a full coverage bib that fits over the shoulder and sweeps under the arm- I love the fit!



It was a relatively easy sewing project- the most difficult part was sewing evenly on the bias tape and making sure to catch it all as I went.

For materials, I used leftover single-fold bias tape (just ironed it over), a too-small flannel receiving blanket, and I was given some leftover gender neutral baby print (not sure what it is, but it's some sort of polyester) by my mother-in-law from some of her old projects.  Unfortunately I ironed out a little bit of the texture on the elephants/giraffes print, but I think it still looks cute.


It fit Sophie perfectly- even on her almost-2-year-old frame, the length is great. I think this should fit even a young baby first starting solids, but I don't have anyone to experiment on. ;)




It didn't take too long- maybe two hours to do both? And that was because I am ridiculously meticulous. Now that I've sewn these up, the next time should be quicker unless I plan on making my own bias tape. ;)

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Patriotic Wreath

 So, I might be totally in love with Pinterest. I use it to plan weddings, decorate my house, and I dream of painting or refinishing pretty much every piece of furniture in my house.  Well, I saw a tutorial HERE for a patriotic wreath and had to copy it! I'm a wreath person- I always have a wreath on the door, preferably seasonal or holiday themed, and this was perfect.


The inspiration wreath was made from felt, but I decided to make mine from t-shirts because they were on sale and I had a spare white t-shirt floating around my house. I purchased a foam wreath form from my local Dollar Tree and got the stars from a foam sticker sheet at Michael's.


 I love the detail of twirling some wire to secure the stars, it gives it an extra bling-y look.

I decided to hang it from a ribbon instead of trying to fasten a hidden ribbon because, well, the foam was cheap and with all the holes from the pins I wanted to avoid putting stress on the wreath. Overall, I'm really pleased with how it turned out!