Friday, August 19, 2011

The "Proper" Way to Cut a Melon

Sorry I've been away for a while! Summertime has been quite busy for us. 

I have been working on a few sewing projects that I hope to have up soon, including the elusive diaper cover tutorial. For now, I wanted to share with you a great way to get the most out of your melons, as they are certainly in the peak of their season. 

Back when Stephen and I first got married, I bought lots of oranges and cut them up as a snack.  He looked at my cutting job and said, "What did you do to those?"  Another time I was helping my sister-in-law prepare food for a family dinner by cutting up a melon.  She glanced over at my work and said, "Here, let me help you with that."

Apparently I used to cut my produce in a not-so-mainstream way.  Or my in-laws are food snobs.  Either way, I want to show you the best way to cut a melon so you get the most out of it with the least amount of work (don't worry, my in-laws are great people and have shown me the light- at least when it comes to food prep).



Step 1 Cut off the ends of your melon (where the stem was) making sure you cut through part of the flesh (ew, that's a weird word) and not just the rind.
 
Step 2 Set the melon on its end. It will now balance quite well, making it easy to cut.

Step 3 Cut the rest of the rind off, cutting into the flesh (about 1/4-1/2" away from the rind- and it's still a weird word) following the curve of the rind. Cut all the "white" off.

Step 4 Admire your work. Isn't it pretty?  Now cut it vertically in half straight through the middle.

Step 5 Lay each half on their sides.  From here on out, you can cut it into whatever shapes you want, but I like cubes.  Cut horizontally every 1" to 1 1/2" so the pieces will be mostly even.

Step 6 Cut long-ways keeping the same spacing you used going horizontally.  See where this is going?

Step 7 Now cut the other direction, again using the same spacing, and voila! Beautiful fruity cubes!

I love cutting my large fruit this way.  I put my melon in a big tupperware container and it's ready to go for any of our meals, plus I don't have to worry about the kids eating the rinds.  However, I've always wondered what pickled melon rind tastes like (Laura Ingalls Wilder, anyone?).  Anyway, good luck!

P.S. My way of cutting oranges is better than Stephen's. Just kidding. To each their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment