Thursday, May 5, 2011

Meal Plan Wednesday

Sorry I'm a little late with this, but it's been a busy week.  I do flowers and I have two weddings coming up- one this Saturday and one next Saturday!  I'm trying to get my house in order before tomorrow, when I get the flowers, so I am so busy!  But I think I should qualify "do flowers" as you may begin to think I'm some professional or something.  It's just a hobby that I love.  I took a class in college and did my brother-in-law's wedding.  It was so fun!  I only do it for myself, friends, or family. Especially weddings.  We've all met bridezillas and I have no intention of subjecting myself to someone that nit-picky.  I won't do it under those circumstances.  It's something that's fun for me and that's all there is to it.

End rant.

Alright, on to the plan.  For this week I tried to choose some easier meals, especially for the weekend, because of our busy schedule.  I'm also going to try my hand at making my own granola, granola bars, and bread.

Breakfast
Granola - sunflower seeds, walnuts, coconut, flax seed meal, milk
Yogurt
Cream of wheat
Cereal

Lunch
Leftovers
Sandwiches

Dinner
W  French onion soup, salad - onion (.25/lb), Swiss cheese
T   Chicken tacos - jalapeno
F   Pizza - red onion, bell pepper
S   Sandwiches, apples & granola bars
M  Bean burritos - flour tortillas, garlic, jalapeno
T Shepherd's pie - ground beef

Snack
Granola bars
Oranges
Honeydew

Other
Toilet paper
Dawn dish soap

So how did I do?

Costco           14.63
Sprouts          22.44
Stater Bros      7.86
TOTAL         44.93

Drats.  Part of the problem was purchasing yogurt (2.49) and the Swiss cheese (2.69).  That alone makes up the difference, but next time I won't have to buy granola ingredients.  I think buying a smaller amount of cheese from the deli counter might help as well, plus I plan on trying my hand at making yogurt, which is why I bought it in the first place.  You need active yogurt cultures to make your own.  I also went a little produce crazy, but at least we'll be eating well.


Did I mention how excited I am about the jam I made? No? Well, it set up perfectly and tasted divine.  I love mixing it into things like cream of wheat or yogurt. Delicious.  I store mine in quart sized ziploc bags because they last longer and store better in the freezer.  I can't give too much of it away because I'm not planning on making more; last year I made 4 batches whereas I only made 2 this year.

I think I'm still on the road to budgeting success, I just need to execute my plan better.

Must... resist... spending... money...

3 comments:

  1. Do you grind your own wheat? I just a grinder and am totally in LOVE with it and have started making my own whole wheat bread. I haven't mastered the art of making it look 'pretty' every time, but it holds together without being too dense so you can eat PB&J which is a family favorite here! If you're interested in the recipe, just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michelle- Yep, I grind my own. I borrow my mother-in-law's grinder, so I haven't had to buy one yet- but I want one! I'm trying a new recipe today, but I'd love to have yours, too! Just send it to me on Facebook, please. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alicia! We've posted your cloth diaper feature on www.funcheaporfree.com. Check it out here: http://www.funcheaporfree.com/2011/05/friend-feature-friday-cloth-diaper.html
    and be sure to grab our "I was featured on funcheaporfree.com" button!! Thanks again for your guest post!

    ReplyDelete