Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ultrasound #2

Today's ultrasound stunk. I have no news.

The technicians were nice and everything, and they made me feel comfortable, but they're not allowed to say anything. At all. I couldn't even watch the screen. It's a new "policy." So, I know nothing.

Well, I take that back. I know they measured from "crown to rump," but that was the extent of the lingo I could understand, since the rest of their communication was using acronyms most of the time.

They did an external and internal exam. The internal exam took forever and my legs started shaking and twitching because I had to hold them in a flexed position for about 20 minutes. One of the technicians helped me hold it in position. :) I'm a weakling, I guess. Maybe it's because I'm tall?

They will report the results to my doctor in 2-3 days. I just wish I had been able to watch. Maybe I could have seen the heartbeat. I don't know; maybe they only take that many measurements if the baby is viable? Or maybe it's protocol that they measure everything every time no matter the situation? This is only my third ultrasound, the first of which was significantly less frustrating and much more informative, since the technician was a nurse and could tell us everything we were looking at. Last time's was awful. She was really shy about being around my only-covered-with-a-sheet-lower-body, and almost fell over trying to shield her eyes when I had to adjust the sheet. Not that I was flashing her or anything, but I would think that usually people who are around ultrasound equipment, or any medical examination equipment, are more familiar with the idea that people have to be halfway exposed for medical examinations. Maybe it's just me. :)

My doctor is very good about calling anytime she has anything to report, so I know she'll let me know as soon as there's something to tell us. Let's hope it's two days and not three.

6 comments:

  1. I think they aren't allowed to share info about the ultrasound when it has to do when talking about a miscarrage. There was a scare when I was pregnant with Rigby and the technician didn't say a word to me the whole ultrasound. Not very helpful, but I'm sure its to cover their butts. Hope you get good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you have to go through this! And I think Lydia is right on the mark--they wanna cover themselves. Not helpful, though, for a potential expectant mother. Our prayers are with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had about a billion internal and external ultrasounds with the miscarriage I had, but was always allowed to look at the screen-when I asked the tech about it, he did say "I'm actually not allowed to say anything about what I'm seeing..." Whereas the tech that ultrasounds in my dr's office always told me what we were looking at...I hope things turn out well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S, the tech in the drs office would tell me what we were looking at in both cases--the miscarriage, and with this pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. UGH! How frustrating! I hope you hear good news from your doctor very soon.

    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alicia,
    We've had two miscarriages before we had our first and with our last baby I had bleeding episodes that were terrifying but I now have my healthy baby. I think it's a good sign that they measured crown to rump as your baby needs both a crown and a rump to accomplish this. You are in our prayers and I hope your baby is okay. I can't believe that they wouldn't even let you look at the screen. Even in my miscarriages, the techs couldn't tell me anything, and I had no idea what was going on, but I could at least guess based on the screen. I hope they don't make you wait long to hear.

    ReplyDelete