Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas is Just Around the Corner!

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas....


We decorated our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. It's just a little four footer we got the first Christmas we were married and I love it. I miss the fresh, clean smell of a real tree, but seriously, we just can't afford a $100 purchase for something that dies in one month.

We've begun the tedious task of unpacking and cleaning pretty much every thing we own. Jessica, my best friend from High School, came over on Saturday and she and I did the entire living room. I'd forgotten how many books we had! I found my Harry Potter series and The Lord of the Rings, plus all my Jane Austen novels and The Wheel of Time. I am in novel heaven!

As part of unpacking, we set up Ben's crib into a toddler bed. He loves it! He puts himself to bed now!


He also loves watching movies. We really have to limit him because, if he had his way, he'd watch movies all day. Here he is watching his newest favorite, Cars. He says, "Vroom, vroom!"



Through unpacking, I found my old camera with these pictures on it:



Last year I made my Mom this table centerpiece for my floral design class. These are silk flowers. I also made my Mother-in-law a fresh centerpiece, too. Centerpieces all around last year.

I also thought I would share some news with you. I didn't want to post about what's been going on, but things are taking longer than we thought and it's too difficult not to post about it.

We found out I was pregnant about a month ago and we were excited, but didn't tell anyone. Usually, you're supposed to "wait" until a safe amount of time has gone by, I guess so you can keep an early miscarriage to yourselves. I, however, am a blabbermouth and told my Mom, Mother-in-law, and my two local Sisters-in-law shortly after we found out. Two weeks ago, I started bleeding heavily during Church and thought I had miscarried (it was a lot of blood). Picture it: crying uncontrollably in the bathroom with your Mother-in-law while ladies are coming in trying to take a bathroom break before Relief Society. Yes, everyone in my In-law's ward knew.

The bleeding slowed down, so I didn't go to the emergency room and I went to the doctor the next day. She thought I had miscarried and that, since it was this early, it was a chromosomal issue that I had no control over. Testing, testing, and more testing and an ultrasound...

Guess what? I was still pregnant. I was five weeks along. There was no heartbeat. I had a 4 cm blood clot at the attachment site of the placenta. Hormone levels were not increasing as quickly as they wanted. HOWEVER... everything I just mentioned can be completely normal (except the last one). At five weeks, you can't see the heartbeat. You're not supposed to be able to see it until a solid six weeks. A blood clot at the attachment site is also common. The clot can either pass or can be absorbed into the uterus. The biggest problem it could pose is that it could be taking nutrients away from the placenta. Hormone levels are supposed to be increasing like crazy. My levels are increasing, but not as much as they should be. That is the most nerve-wracking part of all this. It could indicate something is wrong.

I have a scheduled ultrasound tomorrow to determine how things are going and what's going on. We're hoping and praying for the best.

Things are a little strange for me. It's hard not to get really excited, and I feel like I should be excited, but for more than 24 hours I thought I had had a miscarriage. I went through mourning for this little baby. I thought I had lost someone. It's just really difficult to get excited when so many things could still go wrong. Stranger yet, though I'm only seven weeks, my body has started changing already. I have a bump. That's just weird, because I've been telling myself that this pregnancy isn't a big deal and that it's okay if something goes wrong (sad, but easier to deal with). With my body acting like everything is fine and progressing in size as quickly as it is, it makes it feel like it would definitely be not fine if something happened. I'm just scared.

So, that's what's going on. I'll update as soon as I know anything.

In some distracting news, Stephen and I are singing in a choir this weekend for our Stake's Creche Festival. It's a display of over 1,000 nativity scenes with performances. I am so excited to be performing again! If you'd like to attend, email me at lisha[underscore]lacey[at]hotmail[dot]com for directions to the festival. We're performing Saturday at 7:00, but there will be performances starting around 5:00 and the festival is also on Thursday and Friday evenings. It's going to be so amazing.

3 comments:

  1. I hope all goes well with the pregnancy! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alicia...I'll keep you in my prayers. That must be scary but you sound like you are taking it well. Please let us know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Alicia! I haven't been on the blog in a while I guess because I've missed a lot of stuff! First, so excited you two got moved into an apartment. I bet it feels so nice to have your own space again! :) Ben is growing up and looking so adorable. I bet his 'vroom' noises are the cutest! Most importantly, Daniel and I are sending lots of prayers and love your way as you guys navigate through this confusing time. I wish the dang ultrasound people would have said something to you so you wouldn't have to be in the dark! Oh yeah, and I still haven't seen New Moon but I'm excited you liked it. It makes me want to see it more now :)

    ReplyDelete