Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Reading and Working . . . Then Reading Some More...

Lately, I've been pretty busy. Just, not with anything that important! I've been working at Houston's about 4 times a week, and I can't believe how much money I can make there. I thought I was doing well in Utah, but this takes the cake! In Utah, I made 2.13/hr + tips. Here, I make 8.00/hr + tips. If that weren't enough of a difference, Houston's is quite high end (wine, prime rib and the like), so you can imagine comparing that with the tips I got at a family-friendly Mexican restaurant. I loved Los Hermanos, but I love the income Houston's is giving me.

Stephen and I have also been doing a lot of reading lately. Our new favorite author of the moment is Brandon Sanderson, a fantasy writer (who is also a BYU creative writing professor, though I never took a class from him).



Elantris is a stand-alone novel, while Mistborn is the first book in a trilogy. He's a captivating writer with interesting plots, refreshing, and invents his own fantasy worlds. It doesn't feel like he's "borrowed" settings, characters, or concepts from other authors. He's original, plus he's fun to read. Both of these books are page turners. As of now, my life is consumed with reading the sequels to Mistborn. I'm stuck reading these until the end . . . I must know what happens! :)

Ben is doing great. Yesterday we found two more teeth coming in - the top incisors next to his two front teeth. He's been drooling like . . . well, like an erupting fire hydrant. He hasn't been this drooly in a while. Take it this way- we can't go anywhere without a burp cloth right now. He's starting to get more brave while walking, and he's taken a few steps on his own! He's still a bit too chicken to walk without help, though. He's becoming the stair climbing expert and scampers up and down now!

I've been trying to find the cable that connects the camera to the computer so I can update some pictures for you all, but I think it's in storage. Our storage unit is packed to the top with furniture and boxes . . . I should have made a map of where everything is! Well, hopefully we'll find it soon. Have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Since nobody else felt like commenting I thought I would just say that I wanted to read some books by Brandon Sanderson, since he is slated to finish the last Wheel of Time book. I was hoping to get some insight into how he writes and if his style of writing would match Robert Jordan's style well. To my surprise I think that his style does match pretty well. Unfortunately I can't decide, so we'll just have to wait and see what the last Wheel of Time book is like and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job! It is definitely not the greatest economy to graduate into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandon is great! Imagine being in a class with him where he's telling you how to come up with awesomeness like this! By the way, I practically spent 3 days wit him, Tracy Hickman, L.E. Modesitt Jr and Dave Farland at a BYU writers convention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops that was from Daniel - I forgot to say that. I was his scribe :)

    ReplyDelete