Friday, April 11, 2008

Things I wish I had known about labor, delivery, and everything afterwards...

So, one of the questions I always asked the moms when I was pregnant was, "So, what's it like?" Thus, I'm providing my own list for you potential moms-to-be with the things that shocked and surprised me. (Note: some of the items on this list are a little uh, gruesome)

1. If you can see your baby's head crowning, it's not that big- it's bigger.

2. If you want a mirror for your delivery, get that mirror! It's an awesome sight.

3. Take advantage of the nursery service in the hospital. You are not a bad mother. You need to get all the rest you can to prepare for the coming weeks.

4. Be careful not to rub your elbows too much on the hospital sheets- I got bedsores. If anything, please, apply lotion to your elbows liberally.

5. The more you walk around, the better you'll feel. It seems backwards, I know, but it works.

6. You yourself will feel like a giant baby for a while- diapers and all. Use the painkilling spray, the medicated wipes, the spray bottle, the whole deal. But be careful- you could develop diaper rash! Follow the same directions for yourself as you would for your baby.

7. You'll feel like you are leaking and it will never end. Don't worry, it gets better faster than you think.

8. If you find yourself holding your baby and crying for no reason, it's okay. Just cry.

9. It's okay to let yourself be babied- in fact, take advantage of all the help you are offered.

10. If life feels out of control, just simplify it. Just think: your responsibility is to take care of you and your baby. That's it. So ease your mind, and relax.

11. You will be tired. This will be normal.

12. Take this time to build your relationship with your husband. You have a new little person joining your family, and you can be more in love than ever. Enjoy your new family!

4 comments:

  1. Alicia- I like your list of things you'd wish you known about labor and delivery... I'm due in 5 weeks and I wonder more and more what women actually think about the whole experience. Thanks for sharing your perspective! You're fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your little one! That is a great list of things to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful advice! Thank you! I'll try to remember that when I deliver in 5 months (oh, so long away!).

    ReplyDelete