Sunday, March 23, 2008

Benjamin Gilbert Nielsen

He's finally here! Yay!

Alright, now for all the vital statistics: he was born at 13:39 on March 21st, 2008, weighed 7 lbs 6 ounces and was 19 1/2 inches long. As for our name choice, Benjamin is just a name we liked and Gilbert is Stephen's grandfather's name. We are so excited to have him home! Here are some pictures:
Waiting for labor to kick in on Thursday...

The fantastic view from our labor suite.

When they kick started labor again on Friday (after a healthy round of sleep and morphine), Ben's heart rate was going down just a little during contractions and they put me on oxygen. This picture was taken after I got the epidural (ah, sweet ignorance).

After only 40 minutes of pushing, Benjamin was born!

Our first family picture! (Literally taken about 3 minutes after he was born)

Waiting for the car to come around

Benjamin's first car ride! Isn't he just so cute!?

So, we're now officially home and starting a new version of our lives. We're so excited! We plan on blessing him next Sunday in our student ward with our family from California.

Today has been the best day...

Friday, March 21, 2008

More updates

Okay, rather than continue to post a new message for everything that happens today I'm going to just post comments on this message. So, if you want to know what's up read the comments. If not, why are you reading this blog?

Thursday, March 20, 2008

More waiting

Well, Dr. Gamette stopped in and told us that it looks like Alicia isn't progressing fast enough, but they aren't going to let her go home. Alicia will still be on the pitocin until 8pm and then they'll take her off and let her eat dinner and go to sleep. Then, early in the morning they will try again and actually do all they can to get the baby to be born.

While this is a little sad, at least we know that in the next day or so we should know what's going to happen. Of course, if something happens and things start progressing faster or if Alicia goes into labor during the night the plans may change, but that's the plan for now. We'll just have to wait and see how things go.

Still waiting...

Well, we're still waiting to see if Alicia is progressing enough to continue or if we'll have to wait until Sunday. At the moment Alicia is a little conflicted on the issue because the contractions are uncomfortable (surprising, huh?). Anyway, we should know in about 30-45 minutes what's going to happen.

Alicia is in labor

This morning we had an appointment with Dr. Jacob. At our appointment we mentioned that the baby has been moving a little less than normal (secretly hoping that they would induce labor). When the doctor heard this he said that it would be best to go in for monitoring, so we went over to the hospital for a non-stress test.

By the time we got to the hospital we were a little excited and nervous, but the hospital staff was very reassuring. The test showed the baby was doing well except that there was a little drop in his heart rate. Since the baby is already overdue the doctor at the hospital (Dr. Gamette) decided to go ahead and try to induce labor.

After waiting a while for monitoring and waiting to get the go ahead to admit us to labor and delivery we got admitted to a room with an amazing view of Mt. Timpanogos. You should really see this room. I'll take a picture and post it later. Anyway, once we got into the delivery room (about 1:30pm) the nurse started Alicia on some pitocin to induce labor and now we're just waiting to see if it does the job. We're very excited and we'll try to keep everyone posted on Alicia's progress today.

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Baby Update #5: Two days late

So, the baby is two days late and I had an appointment yesterday to check my progress. I'm 80-90% effaced and 1 1/2-2 cm dilated, which is better than nothing I suppose. I have another appointment scheduled for Thursday to monitor my progress, but I have a scheduled induction for Easter Sunday.

On one hand I'd really like this baby to be born now, but on the other hand I don't want him to come any earlier than he's ready for. So, if I'm feeling ridiculously anxious on Thursday, we'll see if we can induce earlier, but if not we'll just wait and induce Sunday. We'll see how it goes!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Baby Update #4

So... once again, we had a Dr's appointment. And I haven't progressed since last week. And they still don't know the results of the culture test. A little disappointing, I know, but we'll see how things go.

They did a procedure that's called "stripping the membranes". This is pretty standard now, and the process can release hormones and start labor within 24 to 48 hours, but it will only start labor if you were on the verge already. So, we'll see!

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Baby Update #3

Our appointment saga continues...

So, the culture they took two weeks ago got lost. So they had to do it again. Normally, we would take the sample with us and drop it off at the BYU health center for testing, but because I'm so close to delivery they're having it done at the hospital. This way they'll have the information readily available for when I go into labor.

Now for the exciting part:

I am 80% effaced and 1 1/2 cm! That's pretty close! I am also at a -1 station, which means the baby is descending. Yay!

That's basically it. But as I was making the appointment, the nurse said, "See you next week, if you're still pregnant then!" This comment made me feel ridiculously giddy. I'm so excited!